Monday, December 19, 2016

 Monday, December 19, 2016-

The biggest news of the day is that  yesterday Shubha,  my Indian friend from Puna took a 17 hour train ride to be with me.  I am so touched by this but I cannot tell you. I have never met her before, but we've been friends on Facebook for eight years. She is such a delight to be around!

 She booked us a two day tour of Delhi and , Since Jacque, Mary and Jack didn't arrive till mid afternoon yesterday, Shubha  and I got to spend the whole first day touring Delhi and getting to know each other.

 We started at the Qutab complex, accompanied by our guide Sumar.

 For lunch we went to a Siek temple (The  Hindus who wear turbans) and had lunch with about 2000 people sitting on the floor in the main temple.  Shubha,   Lead us back into the kitchen where they were making enormous pots full of food, that would feed the 10,000 free meals to Indians from all walks of life, based on Donations.   All the people who cut, sliced, diced, prepared and, served the meals were volunteers – many of them from upper eschalon families.   Shubha and I  Took many fabulous photos; unfortunately, I can't get my iPad to load them onto this blog.  You will have to wait for a slideshow when I get home!

After lunch, we lost our shoes and spent an hour trying to figure out where we had left them ( after lunch, we lost our shoes and spent an hour trying to figure out where we had left them.  Since you always have to take your shoes off before entering temples, there was a special room designated for tourists' shoes. They were only three pairs there, and they were ours,   During this time, in the rush to exit the temple with the herd of thousands of diners, we also lost our guide!, So wandered around the streets barefoot looking for him for a while!  In India, and this is really no big deal.

Once we got our act together, we went to see the Lotus temple, where 1000 busloads of students were waiting in line before us – even on a Sunday! They were all wearing tidy little uniforms and looked so cute.
 While we were out a couple blocks from the B&B looking for dinner, Shubha and I ran into Jacque, Mary and Jack at a food stand on the side of the street. 

No comments:

Post a Comment